Monterey Bay Certified Farmers Markets
The premier farmers markets on the Central Coast
Founded in 1976, the Monterey Bay Certified Farmers Markets (MBCFM) is the oldest and largest farmers market organization on the Central Coast of California, with four market locations — Aptos, Carmel, and two in Monterey. Each market has its own unique style that reflects its community, and two of the four markets operate year-round. The Monterey Bay Certified Farmers Markets have won multiple awards in recent years, including “best farmers market” in California, Santa Cruz County, and ranks 9th in the U.S.
With more than 90 vendors, visitors to the markets will find an unmatched selection of top quality California produce and flowers from small regional farmers, many of which are certified organic or use sustainable farming methods. In addition, local vendors offer a wide variety of specialty products including artisan breads, organic pasture-raised meat, locally produced olive oil, raw honey, exotic mushrooms, artisan cheeses, raw milk, sauerkraut, farm fresh eggs, preserves, fresh seafood, gourmet sauces and pasta, fresh-baked pastries, fair-trade coffee and specialty teas. The Aptos, Monterey and Carmel Farmers Markets also offer on-site, professional sharpening services for cutlery and gardening tools.
The MBCFM is a “certified” organization, meaning the participating farmers are certified with the state and sell only products they grow themselves. To support the communities in which they operate, MBCFM donates up to three spaces per month to local non-profits to raise awareness of their programs.
The farmers markets are a team effort of staff, volunteers, farmers and vendors, led by Executive Director, Catherine Barr. Catherine has devoted herself to the MBCFM since 1993, and was awarded the prestigious “Al Smith Friend of Agriculture Award” in 2010 for her outstanding service to the agricultural community by the Santa Cruz County Farm Bureau. From their humble beginnings, the family of four farmers markets has grown under her care into thriving and bountiful farmers markets that bring our communities together in appreciation of the rich bounty of our region. View market contributors >
- Aptos Farmers Market voted FIRST PLACE WINNER - CALIFORNIA by America's Favorite Farmers Markets and ranked 9th place in the U.S. by American Farmland Trust contest, September 1, 2012, second year in a row
- Voted BEST ORGANIC PRODUCE by Carmel Pine Cone readers, 2012
- MBCFM awarded 2012 RETAIL AND WHOLESALE AWARD by the Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
- MBCFM awarded 2011 ORGANIZATION OF THE YEAR by Aptos Chamber of Commerce
- Aptos Farmers Market awarded FIRST PLACE CALIFORNIA WINNER by America's Favorite Farmers Markets and ranked 9th place in the US by American Farmland Trust contest, September 1, 2011
- Named one of the BEST COASTAL FARMERS MARKET by Coastal Living Magazine, August 2011
- Edible Paradise, MBCFM companion recipe website, named BEST WEB SITE FOR SEASONAL RECIPES AND LOCAL FOOD, August 2011